Saturday, November 20, 2010

Week 7 EOC: The Scary Internet

Since the advent of the solid-state microprocessors our lives have become easier to manage. Through the use of computers, smart phones and the internet I think that we are starting to take things for granted. For example if I want to find a recipe that uses bacon, Google and other search engines can and do make the assumption that I am male. And then the next search that I do might include ads at the side that are meant for a man. That might be fine and dandy and can also be convenient. But the one thing that scares me the most about this is when anyone can use this same technology to find out if I am not home and then come over and rob me. Or a future employer might be able to have access to some of my past through pictures of me past out drunk at a party and then decide to not hire me because of that. The list goes on and on and can get even scarier.